Tuesday 3 December 2013

Water, water everywhere... (Part 1)

For a few days last week, I saw a heck of a lot of water.

I arrived in Toronto in the pouring rain. As I was only there a day, I had to assume the British stiff upper lip, don the waterproofs and get out to see the sights.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of my journey from the hotel to the city centre. The pessimistic gentleman on the hotel reception tried to warn me it would take over two hours to get to the town centre by public transport; a different story from the information gleaned from the night porter the previous evening. The negative receptionist tried to convince me to take a taxi, get the shuttle back to the airport...anything to avoid the bus from the stop outside. Having been stung by a fixed-rate taxi fare the night before, I ignored his 'advice' and plumped for the bus.

Within five minutes I was on the bus. My $2.50 fare carried me 45 minutes to the metro station and then a further short ride on the train (I hope for the same ticket; no one stopped me, there was nowhere else to buy a ticket and I was a confused foreigner in a strange land!). So I arrived in Toronto city centre ready for exploration.

Toronto is a big city. There's not much more I can personally say. I had a walk round in the rain, saw some impressive buildings including the CN Tower and indulged myself in a Tim Horton's.


I'm sure there's a lot more to see in Toronto than just the many tall buildings in the rain that I experienced, but I'll have to return another time to see the rest. I don't think my impression of it was helped by the fact that the persistent rain had caused major traffic issues in the city centre. This meant my bus journey was extended by an hour and a half on our departure route.

Bloody rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment