Wednesday 27 November 2013

Close calls, thumping hearts and the power of positive thinking

Whenever I usually start a journey anywhere, I do so with an uneasy feeling. I don't know if it's my cynicism or my unwavering pessimism, but I always fear the worst. Until I am on the bus, plane or at my final destination I always think something will go wrong. In my mind I run through the worst case  scenarios; they won't honour my ticket, i'll lose my passport, a wheel will fall off... 

As a consequence, I try to minimise the drama. I try to get to the point of departure as early as possible and eliminate as many disasters as I can. 

This trip has loosened my pessimism. 

I'm starting to feel more relaxed about travelling. I don't feel the need to arrive super early anymore. 

And at two points in my trip, timing has completely gone to pot! 

The first was before my flight from Edmonton to Toronto. Pat and I had left her house in Edmonton with what we had thought would be plenty of time to spare. The brutal Alberta weather had other ideas. The incoming snow storm was brewing; people were driving normally and so we were seeing spun out cars littering the edges of the highway. The traffic was slowing. Pat and I kept willing the traffic to keep moving. 

Eventually, we made it to the airport with 45 minutes until my flight. A quick hug then I dashed into the terminal. The Air Canada lady said I'd just missed check in and had to go to the ticketing queue to see if they'd allow me to check in. 
An elderly gentleman joined me in the queue and I quickly found out he was in the same predicament as I was. Well, not quite the same. He was highly doubtful that they'd let us on, but he wasn't that worried as he had a changeable ticket. I did not. Non-refundable. 

I was hopping back and forth and telling him to think positively. He gave me a raised eyebrow. The lady begrudgingly let us check in. I declared my love for her and we raced to security. 

Another long queue. The man gave me the raised eyebrow again. I countered by telling him to keep thinking positively. 

The queue moved steadily and eventually I was through. I raced to the gate just as the lady on the desk was issuing the last call for our flight. I powered through the gate...and then had to queue at the aeroplane door. My friend from the check in soon joined me and I raised an eyebrow to him. "You've restored my faith in the power of positive thinking." he conceded. 

My job that day was done. 

Less than a week later in Boston I almost reverted to my pessimism. I was sure my bus to New York was at 2.30pm. I was we'll prepared and got to the station just after 2.00pm. 

As I ascended the escalator I scanned the departure screens. I could only see a 2.00pm departure listed. 

A sick feeling swiftly rose in my stomach. 
Did I read the ticket wrong?
Can I make it still?
How can I change my ticket? 

I ran to the gate, found a queue and asked the lady which line it was. 
I could've declared my love for another young lady when she said it was the 2.30 to New York! 

Disaster averted again! This travelling malarkey is definitely keeping me on my toes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment