Saturday 16 November 2013

Wherever I lay my hat...

I thought I’d update on my accommodation so far. Beginning my journey as a hostel virgin, I was slightly concerned as to what awaited me after hearing at least one bad story from everyone I spoke to with hostelling experience.
Most of you know that I have a certain affinity with shelled creatures, so when I saw ‘Green Tortoise Hostel’ in Seattle, I knew where my first port of call would be. The location of Green Tortoise was perfect; a short walk from the station and right opposite Pike Place Market, the hub of Downtown Seattle. I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of the room and the private bathrooms. And the curtain around the bed afforded a valuable sense of privacy. My roommates were a few lovely ladies from different parts of the globe. They weren’t rowdy, they didn’t snore and one even took me for my first trip to Target!
This hostel experience definitely took it easy on me.
The next one however was even better. Double bed, Frosties for breakfast and cuddles with the cutest baby ever in the morning. Nope, wait, that wasn’t a hostel; my eternal thanks to Sam and Sye for letting me stay with them in Ladner.
So, off on my Rocky Mountain tour. First hostel was Samesun Kelowna. Walked in the dorm room to be hit by a wall of boy smell. Probably didn’t help that the room was the size of a broom cupboard. Ah well, the beds must be comfortable then? Yes, to an extent. Once you rolled into the indent you weren’t getting out again easily. But for $24 and free pancakes for breakfast I’m not complaining!
And so to the latest. Just arrived in Banff Alpine Lodge. Looks amazing! Wood panelling, stone fires, the whole ski shebang! On the top bunk tonight so we’ll see how that pans out. But definitely smells better than yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment