Sunday 24 November 2013

Let's go to the mall...


It has been a real struggle not to break into song whilst I've been in Canada every time someone mentions the mall. Yes, television has had such an influence on me that I want to recreate the Robin Sparkles song from How I Met Your Mother at the mere hint of a large undercover shopping arena.

And yes, I use the word 'arena' deliberately. Shopping seems to be viewed as, and engineered around a combat sport in North America.

I have seen blocks and blocks that stretch on for miles of retail outlets of some kind or another. When you think one has finished, fear not, another starts the next street down. What can they all possibly be selling, and selling enough of to keep them all in business?

Last week Pat took me on a visit to West Edmonton Mall. The largest Mall in North America. It was pretty big. It has its own water park, amusement park, pirate galleon, ice rink, sealife park with sea lions,  two crazy golf courses, and then all the shops to boot! The photo is me with the friendly alien character adopted by the amusement park. Pat and I honed our skills on the skee ball games. I think I'd just edge it in a UK v Canada tournament.

It was great to have a look round the Mall, the shops were good, we got some good food in the array of restaurants on offer, and most significantly it gave us a chance to stay warm. Trust me to arrive as the temperatures dipped sharply to their lowest so far this winter (noteably, the temperatures are rising now I've departed Alberta!). One day it was -27! I like to think I have experienced the real taste of the brutal Alberta winter. No pansying around for me... Extreme or nothing I say!

Having said that, I have said I would like to go back to visit Edmonton in the summer. It does look beautiful, and although there was a certain charm to the city cased in snow, it'd be nice to venture out to see the sights properly.

And by going in the summer, I should escape Pat giving me the snow shovelling chores I had this week! I don't know how they do it!


2 comments:

  1. -27, streuth! I know what you mean, this whole mall culture takes a bit of getting used to and like you say, how do they all manage to stay in business?

    ReplyDelete