Tuesday 17 December 2013

Good ol' Southern hospitality


It was with a warm glow I stepped off the plane in Myrtle Beach. In both ways. It was a bit of a shock to feel the comforting, enveloping warm air of South Carolina, even at ten in the evening. 

I'd had a lovely conversation during the flight with a local lady from Myrtle Beach who spent her time flying to different schools across the USA, advising schools on improving literacy, so we tried to set the world to rights (see Cantell folks, I'm still on the case over here!). 

My warm physical feelings were accompanied by warm anticipation of the South Carolina coast. After a few weeks in cities I was really looking forward to some time by the beach. And the few people I met arriving in Myrtle Beach confirmed the Southern stereotype. They were friendly, helpful and almost made me suspicious! 

Friday morning I woke up to the sunshine and walked one minute to the beach. The warm sun on my face was just what I needed. When I headed back to the motel I met the owner and the handyman. Both were lovely and couldn't help me enough. Dan, the handyman, even practically begged me to borrow his bike to go for a cycle. 

By heck I'm glad I took him up on his offer. I spent possibly my favourite afternoon so far cycling up through the hotel area, along the boardwalk and past the sights. Everyone I passed smiled or said hello. I stopped to take photos, watch the sea, browse in tat shops, look at the fairground and generally people watch. I treated myself to a late lunch then went for the return leg. 

I cannot explain how pleasant this was. I must've been smiling to myself the whole few hours I was cycling. Maybe that's why people kept smiling at me; maybe I was spreading smiles (or looking like a simpleton!). 

As I got to the Southern end, the sun began to set and that quieter area could possibly have been even more beautiful. What a day. My sweet Carolina! I definitely will return to you somewhen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment