Friday 6 December 2013

Water, water everywhere... (Part 2)

So, I couldn't go to Buffalo without visiting Niagara Falls.

Turns out there's a lot of water there too.

The forecast was for snow on the Saturday afternoon, so I decided to get up early and get there and back before the blizzard hit. Back to the bus station, $2 paid for a 50 minute bus ride (very reasonable  bus services I've found), and I was in the National Park.

I could write a long, descriptive account of the Falls and my experience of them. To be honest though, they didn't blow me away.

Yes they were vast in height, width and sheer volume of water and spray, but it's what you expect. Maybe I've been spoilt by seeing them on television and films, but it's exactly what you expect to see.  It was nowhere near as beautiful as some of the falls I'd seen in The Rockies.

Maybe it was because it was a freezing, damp day.
Maybe it was because I was surrounded on all sides by tourists.
But I was definitely underwhelmed.

There may be a heck of a lot of water, and it may be a wonder of the world, but it wasn't top of my wonder list. It was so cold I had to break open the handwarmers I'd had since Vancouver. But I've been there and can store my own memories of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment