Sunday 8 December 2013

The Christmas spirit

Just a side note to my adventures in New York. Although it was Thanksgiving whilst I was there, Christmas was on its way in. The gigantic tree was up at Rockefeller Centre (although it wasn't being lit until after I left), the ice-skating was in full flow both there and in Central Park and Macy's were revelling in their Christmas decor as if they invented it.

I entered the big store as a cynical, non-shopper just wanting to get a taste of what everyone bangs on about. Being the retail novice I am I got lost (twice), and almost gave up before I reached Santa Land.

But I made it.

I caught a glimpse of the huge, colourful steam train engine that sits in front of the grotto and rolled my eyes at the overblown ridiculousness of it all. My English reserve took hold and I watched the action from afar. Then I tried to move closer only to be ambushed by the most enthusiastic elves in the world. Will Ferrell had nothing on these guys.

"Merry Christmas!" They chorused to everyone and anyone. I was caught like a deer in the headlights. I must've politely mumbled something back because they latched onto me. "Would you like to see Santa?" One offered.
I politely declined, pffted and self-consciously hiding my eyes, tried to escape.

Then this happened.


I think they could sense a chink in the armour, or they saw the tourist holding the camera, but they got me. On second asking if I wanted to see Santa I broke into a smile and gave in.

Why not eh? When in Macy's...

So, with a juvenile wonder I worked my way round the grotto, following the little train round the animatronic scenes of joy and stereotypical cute cuddlies. I sniggered at the cheesiness of it, but still the Christmas spirit can't be dampened.

Eventually I found myself meeting the big guy (although I think he may have franchised this gig out, I have serious concerns over the authenticity of the beard... Really Macy's?!)

I had a little chat to him, but I couldn't possibly tell you what about. That would ruin the spirit of Christmas wouldn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Now - If you'd had your mother with you, shopping wouldn't have been a problem! She wouldn't have had to be asked twice to sit on the 'big guy's knee'. Lol xx

    ReplyDelete