Sunday 8 December 2013

How'd ya like them apples?

Well, I made it to Boston. Or 'Borston' as I'm trying to perfect my accent. My trip to Boston was well and truly made within two minutes of arriving at the hostel when the lady on the desk informed me that the movie they were showing that night was 'Good Will Hunting'! Now, my inner film geek stirred and I knew my activity for that evening. And it was as brilliant as it usually is, but it really took on an extra meaning to watch it in a cinema (kinda) setting with others, including a girl I met who'd never seen it before. Lucky girl to discover this gem in its cultural home.


Anyway, onto the real culture. Sort of. The first morning was a bright, crisp day and I took a walking tour to get my bearings. Boston was the beauty, history and stories I'd expected and more. The statue of Washington in the Common had apparently had a celebration of his own to celebrate the recent Red Sox victory.


It really is a beautiful city, and the people, both Bostonians and fellow travellers, were so friendly. The hostel had one of the most inclusive, welcoming and active 'environments' I've visited. (James, imagine the accent!)

I've been able to tick off a few must-dos here.
1) Visited the real 'Cheers' bar
2) Spent an evening in a 'real' Cheers style bar. $1 beers were wasted on me, but I almost exploded when The Dropkick Murphys came on the sound system
3) Went to Harvard (if anyone asks I just won't say for how long)
4) Walked the Freedom Trail
5) Visited the iconic gold-domed State House.

Which, incidentally, was the best guided tour I've been on so far. The lady was so knowledgeable and friendly, and told us interesting, funny stories. It also gave me a chance to better understand the US government system.

Which bodes well to give me a base knowledge to take to Washington DC on my next stop...

2 comments:

  1. I should add..
    6) Had a Boston Cream Pie (neither pie; no pastry, nor did it contain 'real' cream.
    Still that artificial concoction tasted pretty good as I wolfed it down!

    ReplyDelete