Wednesday 4 December 2013

Buffalo Broadway

Most people I spoke to about Buffalo were confused as to why I would go there. I thought it looked interesting, and I had to stop somewhere en route to Boston. This way I could get to see Niagara Falls as well. And when I realised I could time it to go to the Frank Turner show, I was sold on Buffalo.

I see why people have a negative impression of the city. A lot of the businesses have closed, and it's pretty deserted in the evening. But I thought it had a certain charm. Maybe it's because I have a soft spot for an underdog and everyone I spoke to had been running it down, but I could really see the treasure shining through the dirt.

The staff at the hostel were especially friendly. I have a feeling it was verging on a commune. One fella was going to install a fair trade co op supermarket in the back. Another guy invited me to a Ukrainian dance festival.

Buffalo is an old theatre town. The Town Ballroom still retains the old show time splendour in patches. I enjoyed talking to a couple in the queue for the gig whose parents had both met ballroom dancing there many moons ago.

The shining beacon on the deserted high street was Shea's theatre. It literally guides you to a warm glow of entertainment of years gone by.

It was a beautiful looking theatre, and by peeping into the foyer, it looked like they had returned the decor to the glory days of music hall. It was these little gems that endeared an otherwise dying, industrial town to me. 

My only disappointment was that I was unable to have a tour of the theatre as they had a Bryan Adams show that evening. Definitely next time I'm in Buffalo....

No comments:

Post a Comment