Monday 14 April 2014

Let's go Mavs!

...let's go Mavs!

And so goes the slightly drudgingly, obligatory chanting that accompanies the Dallas Mavericks basketball team as they take to the court.

Thanks to my brother, we got tickets to Dallas Mavs vs LA Lakers. My brother went through a basketball phase in his youth so he had a good knowledge of the game, and a historic allegiance to the Lakers, although we changed sides as it seemed rude not to support the home team. Yet the fans were mixed in their seating arrangements. No worries about rival fans causing a ruckus here. I'd be interested to know if it's the same in other sports.

It seems only fitting during my time in the USA that I would participate in the great sport of spectating. Yes Americans love sports, but I would dare say they love spectating even more. The whole experience of a national league sporting event is geared around entertainment. It's almost as if the actual sport isn't enough.

The crowd isn't paying enough attention to the humungous video screen? Hurry, pan the camera onto people until they make the silliest face they can.
Someone hasn't got a beverage in their hand? Quick, send a stop-me-and-buy-one man down their row!
A punter is drifting off during the time-out? Pick them out for a giant game of Simon Says pronto!

And to be fair, I'm glad I had this extra entertainment. Not being the biggest basketball fan, it's fair to say I struggled to follow all the rules. Yes, I whooped when a ball was basketed (correct yes?!) and threw my arms up in disgust when a boisterous young player got a bit physical in the defence, but my highlights were definitely the bits between the sport.

Situated just behind us were the Dallas drummers. A group of incredibly talented drummers twirling sticks and keeping the crowd pumped up to the max. For further enjoyment I'm sure my dad would agree the cheerleaders gave us lots to cheer about in their slick, crowd-pleasing routines.

But in a stab at equality Dallas Mavs also have a set of male cheerleaders. Named the Dallas ManiACCs (corporate name, obviously), this group of loud, brash, larger than life tough guys knocking out super-charged, tongue-in-cheek dance routine after routine made my evening. They are dedicated, push themselves to entertain and at one point dance-battled against the real cheerleaders who were left looking ridiculous in their sizeable wake. I have new sporting heroes.


I may have been slightly more enthusiastic than normal, whooping at the end of the game, but that was probably because I was still riding the sugar high of my first toxic-coloured slurpee. But I was somewhat dismayed that the rest of the crowd started leaving before the final whistle, and even the players trudged off after the show, sorry, match, without even a wave to the few supportive fans left.

To be honest, I have absolutely no recollection of who won, let alone the score. But I guess the game's not really the point of this performance is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment