Sunday 19 January 2014

Unbelizeable!

It's been a while since I updated this blog, so I'm going to use the excuse that I'm still working on Belizean time. The sign on the photo above isn't just for the few vehicles on Caye Caulker. Everyone on the small island lives life by the motto; nothing is done with any speed or taken too seriously. Unless if course it's the serious business of taking care of the rum punch.

Belize is such a beautiful and varied country I feel I won't be able to do it justice here. It has the incredible beaches you envision, but then they're challenged for the top spot by the tropical rain forests and fields (Jurassic Parks vistas)filled with birds (although a group hike failed to turn up any elusive Toucans!)

And the mix of people! Everyone was so friendly and laid back. You have Mayans, Spanish speakers, Mestizo people,  English speakers, Garifuna speakers, Chinese people, Mennonite people and so many more. It's such an exciting variety!

But one of my favourite things about Belize is that you're never far from a sweet treat. National Express coaches in the UK would be vastly improved if someone hopped aboard at every stop selling tarts and cakes!

Belize provided me with my first scuba diving experience. It was so breathtaking (figuratively and literally) I can't believe it's taken me so long to try it. Swimming mere feet above a giant sea turtle is a memory I will always treasure. Then chasing Kevin, our sail boat skipper / sea safari guide, to another exciting spot through the waves will never fail to make me happy.

The memory of sailing back into Caye Caulker, tired, listening to reggae music and with a rum punch in hand (when in Rome!), is what I came on this journey for.

No comments:

Post a Comment